Friday, December 2, 2011

If a girl walks into a bar with a great butt...

Tonight, as I participated in a mini-powerlifting meet at Sixth Gear Performance, I was reminded that women, when supportive of each other, can be a strong and powerful group. Tonight, for a moment, I stopped to wonder if I truly loved the sport of Powerlifting or if I love being around strong women who support each other, yell for each other and remind each other that we are capable of anything. Seriously, these women are outstanding!

While growing up, I have seen some pretty scary stuff come out of girls. During my freshman year of high school, I was bullied. Not like name-call bullying, I am talking real-deal, made-for-TV stuff. While in my sorority in college, I remember a group of girls that would verbally pounce on each and every girl that walked in the bar with their mid-drift showing or a short skirt on. That girl would be the subject of ridicule for the whole night.

Luckily for me, I have also been surrounded by girls who have shown outstanding support and love for each other. During my senior year in high school, I was on a cheerleading team of 6 girls. Yes, only six. Unlike other schools, at Atherton, girls didn’t knock each other over getting to try-outs for the cheerleading team. They practically had to beg people to cheer. I was happy to accommodate and wound up around 5 gals that year that were supportive, motivating and inspiring.

In college, while the other girls were talking about and making fun of anyone of whom they were jealous, my best friends were getting crazy on the other side of the bar, oblivious to the fact that anyone else was even in the room. We had more fun than 3 girls should have at ANY time in their lives. And they ALWAYS had my back and have ALWAYS accepted me, despite my flaws (and I have a few:)

Now, not only do I have those same, supportive, confident college friends, I am surrounded by strong women who truly ROOT for each other…who want each other to succeed…who yell at the top of their lungs to help their partners get through a lift. I have gotten facebook messages, texts, phone calls and even hand-written notes (who does that anymore?) with words of encouragement.

I simply don’t understand what stops us from being like this all of the time. Damn it, if a girl walks into a bar with a great butt and is wearing a super tight skirt, we should be yelling, “Go get ‘em girl!” Seriously, I just want my friend Dawn to follow me around screaming “STRONG!” like she does in the gym. I would feel like the world’s biggest badass all of the time!

No comments:

Post a Comment